Portion of Broadway to close for Streetcar construction | News
This is a heads up for drivers in the Broadway and Church Avenue area, the intersection will be closed starting August 6, at 6 a.m.
Workers with the Sun Link Tucson Streetcar will begin repair and replacement work on a sewer line that extends across Broadway between Congress and Stone Avenue. This will be an ongoing closure until mid-September, due to the size of the area of repair.
Here are a few things to know about the area:
- Access to the underground parking garage for tenants of 1 South Church Avenue will be maintained.
- Broadway eastbound traffic will be detoured south on Church Ave. to Ochoa St. or McCormick St., east to Stone and Scott Ave., then north back to Broadway. Tucson Police officers will be on site to assist with directing traffic.
- Four-way stops will be in place at the intersections of Ochoa Street at Stone Avenue and McCormick Street at Stone Avenue.
- Turn movements from eastbound Broadway to northbound Church will be maintained during daytime hours. Intermittent nighttime restrictions may be in place.
- Parking will not be allowed along Church Avenue between Broadway and Jackson Street while the detour is in place.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times, however, north and southbound Church Avenue pedestrians must use the crosswalk on the west side of the intersection to cross Broadway while intersection work is under way.
An update as well for the Euclid Avenue and University Boulevard Intersection work, the contractor has sped up the time frame for placing the rail on University Blvd (between Park and Euclid Ave.)
They will close the intersection of Euclid Ave. and University Blvd. starting August 8 at 3 a.m. and will keep it closed until August 13 at 3 a.m. when the rail placement will be complete.
Traffic on Euclid Ave. will still be reduced to one lane of travel in each direction while workers complete the area. Full closure of this area allows for workers to complete work safely and efficiently.
Here are a few reminders about work in the area:
- During this closure crews will be working extended hours and weekends.
- Access to the University of Arizona Visitor’s Center, the Tyndall Avenue Garage and Main Gate Garage will be maintained.
- Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes when approaching this intersection. Message boards will be in place to direct motorists around the work zone.
- Business and pedestrian access will be maintained.
- Please use caution when driving, bicycling or walking in the work areas. Please obey all traffic control devices and watch for construction personnel and equipment in the work zones.
For more information on this project visit the Sun link Modern Streetcar website at www.tucsonstreetcar.com
Top Downtown Tucson Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marana swim program to get a helping hand from Foothills Optimist Club
- Holiday activity advisory from Coronado National Forest officials
- Church offers series on Christian holiness and human sexuality
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse hosting a ‘glitzy’ Great Gatsby-inspired event
- AZ Game and Fish meetings for public comment on licensing structures