Tucson Botanical Gardens hosting signature classes through December | Events
Classes offered at Tucson Botanical Garden are the following:
- Gardening for the newcomer – held the first Thursday and first Saturday of each month from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
This introductory class will familiarize newcomers or new homeowners with Tucson’s seasons and soils. Discussion of proper techniques for planting and watering is included. Learn to create a landscape of beauty and comfort in our desert environment. Class concludes with a walking tour of the Gardens. No preregistration required. $16 (includes admission), $8 members
- Xeriscape, not Zeroscape – held the second Saturday of each month from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
Learn how to design a water-conserving landscape and leave with a plan and tools to develop your own xeriscape design. This class covers the basic principles of xeriscape, including garden design, plant selection, efficient irrigation methods and appropriate garden maintenance. Class concludes with a walking tour highlighting xeriscape features at the Gardens. $16 (includes admission), $8 members
- Successful plants for Tucson gardens – held the third Saturday of each month, from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
An excellent follow-up to Gardening for Newcomers and Xeriscape, this class identifies trees, shrubs, perennials and succulents that are smart choices for Tucson. Characteristics that make plants successful locally will be discussed, with a focus on proper selection, placement and planting so that you can achieve a beautiful landscape that will thrive under local conditions. Class concludes with a walking tour highlighting successful plants at the Gardens. $16 (includes admission), $8 members
- Rainwater harvesting – held the fourth Saturday of each month, from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
This class is a broad introductory discussion of rainwater harvesting philosophy and techniques. Visual and technical descriptions illustrate the various alternatives of rainwater harvesting in the Tucson desert. We will show you how to make the most out of a little rainfall, whether you are interested in a simple low cost project to keep the rainwater on your land, or a more dynamic and sophisticated system to store rainwater. $16 (includes admission), $8 members
There is a discount for attending all four classes - $48 for non-members; $24 for members. No pre-registration is required for the classes, which are all taught by trained docents. Each class purchase also includes admission to the Gardens.
Tucson Botanical Garden is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. year round, seven days a week, except the following holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and New Years Day).
Admission prices to Tucson Botanical Gardens are seasonal:
- October to April - $13 Adults; $12 Student/Senior/Military; $7.50 Children 4-12
- May to September - $8 Adults; $7 Student/Senior/Military; $4 Children 4-12
- Children 3 and under and TBG Members are always free