Second Saturdays for February is this weekend | Community Spirit
The February 9th event illustrates this as Tucson’s favorite music festival, with new winter hours from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. The activities start at 4 p.m. and there will be Stilt Walkers, 7 Pipers Band, and the Fire Truck Adventure Zone at the Kids’ area. And that’s not all. The KIIM/KHIT Scott Ave. Stage also kicks off at 5pm and hosts a genre mash up ranging from folk pop to rock and blues. Starting the evening at 5 p.m. is Roth D'Lux, a husband/wife duo whose style has been described as a little bit of pop, a little bit of prairie, and a little bit of jazz. Following is Silverbell at 6:30 p.m., a band that features singer Betsy Scarinzi's golden-age country/rock songs, gorgeous heart-in-the-throat vocals, combined with lead guitarist Gene Ruley's avant-roadhouse sonics. Alan Anderson's The Jits finish the evening, starting at 8 p.m., with a combo of rock, alternative, country and blues.
The stilt walkers of Tucson Circus Arts are on hand and will perform a dance number between bands at 6:15 p.m. Enjoy the silver statues – akin to human jukeboxes - who come alive and perform when given a tip!
Historic neighborhood carriage rides will be offered by Sentinel Carriage Company and Good Shepherd Ranch. These carriage rides will introduce you to some of Tucson’s oldest neighborhoods. The carriages can hold 4-12 people depending on the company you select. Cost is minimal. See 2ndsaturdays.com for specifics.
The Fire Truck Adventure Zone Kids’ Area will be full of fun with the fully functioning fire truck, 3 jumping houses, photos of the kids and other activities. The movie is “The Princess Bride” and starts at 6pm. Exploring the fire truck, jumping houses and photos are FREE as is the movie.
Congress Street is open to automobile traffic. You can easily visit your favorite restaurant or bar. There will be a lot of activity to see on all the downtown streets. Downtown Merchants will offer discounts and specials as you stroll about.
KIIM/KHIT Scott Ave Stage @ Congress - FREE
- 5 p.m. - 6:15 p.m.: Roth D’Lux - Acoustic Prairie Soul
- 6:30 p.m. - 7:45 p.m.: Silverbell - Torch, Trouble & Twang
- 8 p.m. - 9 p.m.: The Jits - Rescheduled from 1/12/13 - Alternative Rock & Blues
Pennington Street Garage Roof corner of Scott Ave. and Pennington St. FREE
- 5 p.m. - 10 p.m.: SW Soul Circuit is moving to an exciting new location. The roof top of the new Pennington Street Garage located on the corner of Pennington and Scott will be the new home of the festival's soul stage. Join the Southwest Soul Circuit's Kevin and Tanishia for an evening of spectacular views, soulful jazz and R&B music.
The Fox Theatre 17 West Congress FREE
- 7 p.m.: Pavlo--Mediterranean guitarist covering the sounds and styles of Greece, Spain and Africa.
Rialto Theatre: 318 E. Congress all ages, tickets start at $25
- 7:30 p.m.: Rialto Theatre foundation Inaugural Fundraiser Party featuring Grupo Fantasma.
Hotel Congress: 311 E. Congress age is 18+, tickets start at $10
- 7 p.m.: That 1 Guy & the Magic Pipe. An evening of musical, magical wonder…the likes of which ye haven’t yet seen.
Borderlands Brewery: 119 E. Toole Ave. FREE Admission, art work priced as low as $11
- 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.: VelociPrints: On the Pitch" debuts inside Borderlands Brewery on February 9. The opening day event is from 5 to 10 pm, and is timed to coincide with downtown's monthly Second Saturdays event. In addition to the artwork, FC Tucson is hosting 2nd Saturdays Street Soccer in the Borderlands Brewery courtyard, the Red Bull Futboleros will provide entertainment.
Sponsors are: Barker Morrissey Contracting, Click Automotive Team, KOLD-TV Channel 13, KXCI 91.3FM Community Radio, MEB Property Management, QuikPrint, ParkWise and Providence Service Corp. For more details and specific info go to www.2ndsaturdays.com
As significant progress continues to be made with streetcar construction, vehicular access to Downtown is improving, and all the parking garages will be open and accessible. Automobile traffic coming from the east from in-bound Broadway Blvd. can park immediately upon arrival at Centro Garage, or can once again drive Congress Street up to Church Avenue. Turn right at 5th Avenue and a quick left down the ramp into the Depot Plaza Garage, or turn right at Scott Avenue, one block to the entrance to Pennington Street Garage. Traffic coming from the west and from I-10 may use Broadway to access Stone (La Placita Garage), 6th Avenue (to Pennington to Scott, to reach the Pennington Street Garage), or 5th Avenue (Depot Plaza Garage). From the south, enter Downtown by going north on either 6th Avenue or Stone Avenue. Traffic coming from the north can also enter Downtown on Stone Avenue and on 6th Avenue southbound from 6th Street. The easiest parking remains at: (1) Centro Garage, located just as you enter Downtown from the east; (2) the Depot Plaza Garage, located on 5th Avenue opposite Hotel Congress; (3) the Pennington Street Garage, accessed via Pennington Street from either Stone Avenue or 6th Avenue.; and (4) La Placita garage on Jackson Street, which can be accessed from Stone Avenue, and is very convenient to the Fire Truck Adventure Zone Kids’ Area. For a full schedule and parking info, visit www.2ndSaturdays.com.