2nd Saturdays offering a new music venue with May event | Arts & Culture
Tucson’s favorite music festival will be filling Congress Street with music, street performers, food, many new vendors and promenade strollers, this Saturday, May 11. The Fire Truck Adventure Zone and the Kids’ Area has a new home at the Old Pueblo Parking Lot, 43 E. Congress; with Kids’ Area hours from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tucson is receiving a percentage of the beer sales at the new music venue, T.O.P.-the “Top of Pennington” Garage.
Admission is free to hear the great local classic rock band Five Way Street; just take the elevator to the rooftop for a sunset/city lights view, and enjoy classic rock, food and beer from Borderlands Brewery. This Tucson-based microbrewery produces quality beers in a traditional Southwestern style, and they will be selling beer during the musical performance. Doors will open at 6 p.m. and music starts at 7 p.m.
Congress St. is open to automobile traffic. Where visitors can easily enjoy their favorite restaurant or bar. There will be a lot to see and do on all the downtown streets.
KIIM/KHIT Scott Ave. Stage (at the corner of Scott and Congress):
- 6:30 p.m. - 7:45 p.m.: Aztral Folk (Ethno Psychedelic Fusion)
- 7:45 p.m. – 8 p.m.: Belly Dance Tucson
- 8 p.m. - 9:15 p.m.: Kevin Pakulis & Coyote Supperclub
- 9:15 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.: Belly Dance Tucson
- 9:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.: Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd Tribute)
T.O.P. Top of Pennington Garage (110 E. Pennington) - Free Admission
- 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.: 5 Way Street (Classic Rock), beer for sale with a percentage of beer sales donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Historic neighborhood carriage rides will be offered by Good Shepherd Ranch. These carriage rides will introduce you to some of Tucson’s oldest neighborhoods. The carriages can hold 4-12 people. Cost is minimal. See 2ndsaturdays.com for specifics.
The Fire Truck Adventure Zone Kids’ Area has a fire truck for exploring; three jumping houses, free photos of the kids and other activities. The movie Cinderella will be shown as the FREE movie at 7 p.m. The kids’ area is open from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
The Fox Theatre (17 W. Congress) FREE
- 7 p.m.: 2013 BFA Thesis Films: I DREAM IN WIDESCREEN (From the UA School of Theatre, Film, and Television)
Rialto Theatre (318 E. Congress) check for tickets/prices
Hotel Congress (311 E. Congress) FREE
- 7 p.m.: Charlie Faye
TUCSON SOCCER (Ronstadt Transit Center 6th Ave. and Congress St.) FREE
- 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.: FC Tucson is hosting 2nd Saturdays Street Soccer—street soccer fun for all ages and levels
2nd Saturdays Downtown runs from 5p.m. to 10 p.m. Sponsors include: Click Automotive Team, DesertLeaf Magazine, Hotel Congress, Hotel Inn Suites City Center, KHIT/KIIM Radio, KOLD-TV Channel 13, KXCI 91.3FM Community Radio, MEB Property Management, QuikPrint, ParkWise, The Pioneer Building, Providence Service Corp. and the Rialto Block Project.
For more details, a full schedule and parking maps and directions go to www.2ndsaturdays.com